Friday, May 7, 2010

Etch-A-Sketch

Thanks to everyone who made it out to the gallery opening last night! The show should be up for a few weeks so feel free to stop by the Artery and see all of the amazing work.
Here is my piece in the gallery. It is an etching with a bunch of dry-point details added in. This etching actually sprung from another project involving place/memory in my Variable Topics class. My place was the alley way on Elm St. where the Simple Kneads Bakery is located. Entering this alley is like escaping into another world. This slightly eccentric homeless man gave me a slice of bread to feed the birds as well as a piece of coal and another rock. The coal was to be past down through generations for 4,000 years until it turned into a diamond. The rock was said to be the petrified gonad of a dinosaur. This interaction stuck with the me and added another whimsical aspect to the place. My Variable Topics collage moved more toward an abstraction, but I still wanted to portray this man. I had made a drawing from memory of him in my sketchbook, and then took it further this etching. I worked really hard on the hatching and texture of this piece. It is one of an edition of 5 and is priced at $50 (if you want the piece framed it will be around $70). Email me with inquiries!
entitled
"Feed The Birds"

No comments:

Post a Comment